Tuesday, October 26, 2010


Last year, I challenged Tatting Times readers to see how many shuttles they could empty (by tatting the small ends. Of course, I was, as usual, trying to pack too many things into too short a time to take the dare myself, though several people discovered several hundred shuttles occupied with forgotten bits of thread. Knowing I, too, had to do something about this situation, in the August Tatting Times, I offered this small and easy pattern - which quickly went viral! I almost think we need a support group of people working on it. Yes, it does leave you with a lot of ends – but sewing them in truly doesn’t take long, and it’s a wonderful take-along meditative experience. Here’s how far I’ve gotten. Pam Freck made hers a bit more organized – she groups her flowers into sevens and tats a border of solid-colored flowers around each group.
Here’s the pattern – the center ring is R: 5-5-5-5-5-5 (five picots, plus the start and end of the ring; then CH around: 6-6+ (six times). You need a little more than a meter of thread per flower. You can keep going forever… Or stop whenever you’ve reached something of a recognizable shape.
When the big purple tractor was finished clearing scrub and trees, this lovely maple was revealed in its fall splendor… it was almost worth all the trouble and expense of having the junk hauled away to see this beauty!

7 comments:

Typstatting said...

Love your tatted threads I will certainly do that with the bits of threads left on my shuttles.

Shirley Burger said...

i hate to think of all the shuttles i have with just a little thread. my problem is that many of them are filled with size 70/80 threads. guess i could make a group of just those flowers.
i use the magic thread trick for my ends because i have a terrible time holding a needle. i small drop of elmers (glue) will ensure that the ends don't escape.
shirley b.

God's Kid said...

What an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

Wally said...

Hi Karey! I started to do them at Palmetto's. Still have to take a photo of what I have done up to now because I don't have a camera anymore. :-( But this is a great alternative to the butterflies. I got tire of making them! lol

Ridgewoman said...

This sounds intriguing. Since my health is rapidly declining at this time, I'm not planning any large projects ~ but this might be doable. I've not 'thrown in the towel' but one has to be realistic about kidney failure. Especially since I am not really informed enough to make a decision about dialysis and I can't seem to get any good information here in Silver.

It is a lovely idea and I have lots of 'bits' I did, finally, finish the table runner 29" x 52" and gave it to my daughter, but she will have to block it as I didn't want to bring it home to New Mexico. We arrived back from CA last evening and my feet are the size of shoe boxes without topses ~ sandals are for Clementine. LOL

hugs, Bev

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing the pattern and idea. I shared this with my tatting group and I think we're going to do this next year. I am starting now with all my leftover threads...Great idea!

Martha said...

My Grandmother's Garden is just 62 flowers so far. I got off to a good start and then distracted. I've got it back out again now though.