Monday, November 15, 2010


Tatting up a storm? Oh, I really, really dislike that phrase. It’s generally said by people with no imagination who simply want to convey their understanding that I’ve been tatting quite a bit. I like watching storms – from inside – but I wouldn’t like to think I’m the cause of all that sound and fury.
But here’s some of what I’ve been doing. I’ve got to prepare this month and next for about five teaching occasions, which means I absolutely have to engage in one of my favorite activities for extended periods of time. Next year, Tatting Times is celebrating its 20th Anniversary, and I want to celebrate by going to as many tatting gatherings as possible!
This is part of a proposal for next spring – the blue at 12 o’clock is a button-based bag; at 3 o’clock is a gingko leaf from my book “Tatting Turns Over a New Leaf.” This past Saturday, the Finger Lakes Tatting Group got together at Graceful Arts (here) and people found at least four ways of tatting this leaf, including the way I wrote it down, which had an error, but works anyway. At the bottom is the whirligig ornament from my “Tatting With Buttons 2.” I forgot how pretty it can be until Hopie showed me last August her versions in the colors of the Southwest. I decided to go for secondary primaries here and a bit of contrast. I think I’ll be making this a few more times for presents this coming season. Lastly, at 9 o’clock is a tatted mitten. I found a new way to tat a foundation chain for Scharf-style leaves. Instead of using paper clips to hold a space, I now tat part of a lock chain, which leaves a small picot in the middle of a chain that may be accessed from both sides.

Read this blog over the years and you may think I’m obsessed with firewood. Certainly, it forms a big part of our lives this part of the year. Carrying in wood, stoking the stove, carrying out ashes, cleaning up around the fireplace – it can all keep you pretty busy. After the big purple machines finished in October, there were about24 small and medium-sized tree trunks piled on the lawn, yesterday my friend’s husband Nate brought his chain saw and buzzed through them. I saw there’s real skill and strategy in cutting up logs. Because most of these are red pine, they’re going to have to season for a very long time before they’re safe to burn. I worked with Nate to pile them up – we think it’s something over a cord of wood, since the logs took up three pallets plus a bit more. It was good exercise – now I’ve just got to figure out how to get pine tar off a good sweater.



So that’s where I’ve been and here’s where I’m going – in addition to more tatting. I was gifted with about 2 pounds of lovely Jacob’s fleece roving by Bill’s daughter Margaret, and I’ve been itching to get my fingers on it. Unfortunately work and other deadlines intervened – and I’ve had to wait a bit. And I’m off to work now, so the wait goes on.

3 comments:

Miranda said...

I love that motif at the bottom! I really like the color combination, and interwoven chains just fascinate my eyes.

As for the ginko leaf, in addition to being lovely in its own right, I've also found that it can easily be converted to a lily pad by extending the outer round to make a full circle, other than the slit.

Anonymous said...

Can you put rubbing alchohol on your good sweater? Thats the only thing I know to remove sap/pitch. Zach just asked me if that was a friend of mine on Graceful Threads:)HE giggled when I told him it was you!

Ridgewoman said...

They say wood warms us 3 times, when we gather and cut, when we stack, and when we bring it in to put in the fireplace. We hauled, cut and stacked for 34 years; and, from now on it is only a pretty gas fireplace log for me! We heated the ranch house for 12 years with our fireplace; which I don’t recommend as you loose most of the heat up the chimney. But if there is nothing else. . . well. I use to awaken with ice crystals on the top of my blankets. O Pioneer! But I’d not give up the whole ranching experience for anything. The nice thing about pioneering and living in basic, far flung places and circumstances: one learns to be innovative to survive! It was fine in my 20’s and 30’s; but at 74 I’m long past pioneering. Congratulations on your 20 years of Tatting Times! Very handy little publication. xx bev