Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Introducing Tatting Trading Cards - part 1

Artists have done this for a while – taken scraps of art the size of playing cards, either recycled paintings that didn’t work, collaged with other ideas; or small works of art created for the purpose. They’re exchanged with other artists, a way to own a little art made by a variety of artists. Then quilters, particularly crazy quilters, thought this could be a big idea; one sent me a lovely trading card/Christmas card I’ll probably keep forever. Now it’s time for tatters to step up to the plate – or in our case, the saucer. The thought arrived after a daylong struggle with one of those summer bugs that hit you all over and send you to bed for that unaccustomed afternoon nap. Woke up feeling a bit better and was suddenly struck with this BIG IDEA. A lot of what we do is circular, or lends itself to a circular format (like hearts, square motifs, little bits of things). We like to exchange things. We also need a place to put the cool things we get from other tatters. These will fit in a small box, or in those little photo albums made for 4” by 6” photos. Here’s how to get started. You’ll need a disk of plastic about 3 ½ inches in diameter. This could be a cut-down container lid or…. you can get four out of a milk carton. Then cut a slightly smaller circle out of felt. You’ll also need a 6” circle out of fabric. (don’t have a piece that big? you could sew several pieces together. ) A saucer made a good template. If the fabric came from a scrap heap, it might want to be ironed. Thread a sewing needle with ordinary thread – if you can, match the sewing thread to the color of felt you’ll use to top the disk - cut the thread and tie a knot at one end. Sew a running stitch about 1/8” from the edge of the fabric circle and draw it closed around a plastic disk. Secure the stitching with a few buttonhole knots but DO NOT CUT THE THREAD. Add the felt circle to the top (you may need to trim the felt into a better circle or make it slightly smaller than it already is) covering the exposed plastic, and continue around a second time, this time sewing the felt atop the disk. You can see a finished blank to the left. You now have a “canvas” to turn some of your neat tatted scraps into art. More on this later.

12 comments:

IsDihara said...

Your photos remind me of the "Zill Mufflers" or "Zill Mittens" I used to stitch for ladies in my belly dancing classes, back in the 1990's. But this is a novel idea!

Tatting Trading Cards could catch on. And I'm hoping they do. What a fun exchange medium they would make!

Wally said...

I have been collecting ATC fro awhile and have done some with tatting. I like the circular idea! I got a few dozens of old CD and this will be a great use! Thanks for the inspirations!

Marie Smith said...

I love the idea! As Wally said, is it ok if we use old CD's instead of cutting a circle of plastic? I may have to retrieve a few from the garden. They keep birds from eating our blueberries.

Karey said...

Of course you could use CDs, but (and this is the only "but") it will take more fabric, more felt, and more tatting. Also Marie's blueberries could be eaten by the birds instead of her family! That said... anyone want to trade? I'll post some photos in a few days... -Karey

Frances said...

I like the idea but would use cds as the other ladies sugest, this is a great idea

Singtatter said...

I have seen numerous circle swaps on yahoo groups using cd as the base and covered with fabrics and embellished with everything from surface design techniques such as embriodery to tatting if I'll paricipate as I did for most of my ATCs, either on a theme or without any theme. Especially popular with Christmas theme and they usually put in a hanger. It is easier to display on wall or on the tree!

The smallest will be rinchies (1") and bottlecaps but up to any size specified by the host, like 2-1/2" circle but usually up to the standard cd size. BTW, there are smaller cd though not so common; don't have 1 with me now but they are about 3" in size. Would never throw 1 if I get my hands on them!

Oh Wally, you collect ATCs too! I'm into ATCS & inchies, swapping regularly. Postcards too, but they are a bit too big for me as I prefer the challenge to squeeze details on smaller sizes like ATCs and inchies.

Frances said...

count me in I have six started and a pattern ready. Now where is all my material, somewhere in the shed

Marie Smith said...

Looks like you have a winner Karey! Count me in. This looks like fun!

Karey said...

Okay - so if we have anyone who'd like to trade, please contact me via email at threads (at)empacc.net. I'll be working on more of these this afternoon... now, if I can only persuade Bill to drink more milk...

Barbara Gordon said...

Yes Karey, pretty clever. Will be waiting to see what you do next.

Jenny said...

Hi Karey,

been thinking (dangerous, I know).

If these are going to be trading cards shouldn't they have some stats on them? (like baseball cards).
On the back could be data like name, address, when and where one learned to tat? Who taught you? things like that.

I also realized a standard wide mouth canning jar lid is almost 3- 1/2 inches.

And which is the front, and which is the back (the felt is the back?????, she asked dumbly)

Mary

** jess! ** said...

I LOVE the circle idea! I'm not a tea drinker, but I know how tatting and tea seem to go hand in hand. So, I love the creative spin on ATCs, making them more personal to tatter's round motifs and tea drinking habits. :o)