Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I'm back!

Trying to catch up with a neglected blog is like trying to tell a long story. So here are a few photos of what I did this summer and fall.
A lot of gardening led to a great deal of canning. Full disclosure – Bill did much of the gardening - I helped and the result was tremendous. There were a few crop failures - the cucumbers came on so slowly we forgot about them, but the zucchini was apparently mis-labeled, because it all turned out to be yellow summer squash. Which is why we lost interest in it by August and forgot about it on purpose. But these were more compensated for by the tomatoes, which just never quit. For this we have to partly credit Bill’s trellis-work, an intricate Rube Goldberg-like device he builds each season out of a small mountain of saved string and recycled vineyard posts. And a little credit to me, too, for choosing a giant variety of paste tomato and starting a bunch of seeds in the house. Opalka tomatoes aren’t the tastiest on a sandwich, but they make great sauce. And do we have sauce! I had to buy another shelf system for the pantry, and it still left us with a large cardboard box in the kitchen, which holds another two dozen jars of sauce with peppers, eggplant, and garlic all also from our garden.
Working at my favorite theatre – the Old Havana Courthouse Theatre in Montour Falls. I took this photo backstage at our last production of “Wings of Fire.” On the left Elizabeth Hageman as Wendy Wingnut and Sarra Solomon as Poppy Rivets – the two played an all-girl aviation team. I had a very minor role as judge of the air contest and sheriff arresting the villain at the end of the show, but as they say, there are no minor parts, just minor actors. I’d judge myself a very minor actor but I had a great time anyway.
Sarra took this picture - you'll have to guess which one is me. The backstage area is about the size of a small bathroom (minus the plumbing) and when there were more than three people back there, it was definitely crowded. I was also box office manager and stage manager and I loved every minute of it.
Wood stacking – four cords’ worth. There was still about ¾ of a cord left that had to be re-stacked first; I managed to stack about a cord’s worth per day which allowed me to finish the job single-handedly in record time. Just me and my little bottle of ibuprofen.
Dyeing threads, because I’m totally in love with color
Kelly Dunn in Canada made this doily using up the last of my "Sunset on Seneca" colorway.
Teaching – these two projects were for the Fringe Element tatting group. And as always, they did a fabulous job and I had a wonderful time.
A little more traveling. I spent Thanksgiving week in Sweden visiting friends. Tatting and friends came together when I met a group of Swedish tatters at my friend Anita’s house in Stockholm. We had a wonderful afternoon of coffee and cake and sharing; I brought a new pattern and we tried it out. Now I’m tatting for next year’s teaching and a forthcoming doily book. Oh, and getting ready for the holidays.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Welcome home, Karey! I have 4 or 5 stars ready to send you and when I see the colored picture of your necklace I think I may tat a few more to see if those beads could come my way. We'll see. Karen in OR

Ladytats said...

nice to see you blogging again. you have been busy. our tomatoes wouldn't quit either. We had to build a hoop house to keep them going as the weather got colder. Now I am canning tomatoes 4 months late. I am posting about them again later tonight.

Crazy Mom! said...

You've been a busy bee! But where is BILL?

Hope to see you in April...

Kathy Niklewicz said...

It seems like you're four different people! Wow! I'm exhausted. You're a gal with many talents! And a trip to Sweden for good measure! Sounds great! Love the 'judge's' costume!

Karey said...

Bill stayed home and ate 4 1/2 pounds of chocolate and some left-overs, but completely forgot about all the meals I made and froze ahead. Fortunately, he ate a few good meals with friends and family while I was gone!

IsDihara said...

Wow, a tatting trip to Sweden? Color me green with envy.

Did you create the "shuttle necklace" pictured? It is very lovely.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Blogger said...

Did you know you can create short links with Shortest and get cash for every visit to your short links.